Man you guys- ICU is tough!! I just started my August rotation in the ICU and haven’t had a free minute! I wrote this post 4 days ago and totally forgot to actually publish is. So, here it is!
The first of the month means a new rotation, another month living in Rochester, and another month being married! I know “time flies when you’re having fun” and I honestly think I’ve been having fun, but I can’t believe it’s only been 2 months since we moved to Rochester. It feels like a year.
My theory on why times seems to pass faster the older we get is that our lives become so monotonous. When you’re young, everything is new. One summer day lasts foooorrreeevvvveerrrr. As you get older the routine becomes the same: get up, go to work, come home, go to bed. Throw in a little grocery shopping, bill paying, tv watching, and you’ve got a hundred days that blend into one.
Since we got married and moved, every day has been SO new to me! I’m learning tons at the hospital, exploring a new city, learning lots about married life, and each day is a LONG day. I think that’s a good thing!
When I first started this blog, I used to make monthly goal lists and I think I want to start doing that again! I’ve kind of lost my workout mojo, especially since it’s so hard to workout every day now. I find myself always questioning my workout by thinking, “since I can only go to the gym 3 or 4 times this week, I have to make it the best workout ever.” I flip between thinking I should run, or lift weights, or do yoga, or whatever, and eventually nothing sounds good and so I put on my pajamas and forget it. Not good!
So, here are my goals for the month. I will revisit them at the beginning of September and see how I did!!
- Workout 4 times per week or 16 times for the month
- Drink 1/2 gallon water a day. I am SO bad at staying hydrated in the hospital. I have a 1/2 gallon water bottle which makes it easier, so I am going to try to drink that every day.
- Read 1 chapter in my ophthalmology book. I’m trying to read a lot while I’m in the hospital, so I don’t have to stress about studying at home, but I do want to read more ophtho, so I’ll try to get through one chapter this month.
- Average 10,000 steps a day with my FitBit for the month. When I’m at the hospital all day there is a decent amount of sitting and so it’s hard to get 10,000 without a workout… but I’m going to try!!!
- Limit refined/processed carbohydrates and sugar to twice per week
Just for fun, here were my August goals in 2012
So, normally my days look like this:
Breakfast on the way to work:
Lunch during noon lecture:
Go home and sit on the couch with a jar of peanut butter:
(Actually it was the very last bit of pb in the jar, so I blended up a frozen banana and poured it in- Seriously So Good. )
But last Wednesday night, my entire neurology team decided to go out for Sushi!
Kyle came too We started with edamame and spring rolls. I ate one spring roll and all the edamame. Kyle ate one edamame and 4 spring rolls.
Then we shared 3 different rolls that were all fabulous!
And since last Thursday was my final day on neurology, I treated myself to frozen yogurt for dinner.
Last saturday, the night before I started ICU, I went out with a bunch of interns from my class. I’m glad I got to do a few fun things outside the hospital because I have a feeling this month will be lacking in much of anything outside work….
I hope you all are having a great start to August! Do you have goals for the month? Do you like to sit on the couch and eat peanut butter?