I went grocery shopping this morning and began to ponder how much time I spend in grocery stores. Now, I should preface this by saying that I LOVE to grocery shop, so I probably spend more time there compared to someone who despises grocery shopping. But, nevertheless, it’s a time consuming activity!
What contributes to this for me, is the fact that I have to go to multiple stores to get everything I want. I try to limit it to 2 stores a week, but switch up those stores to get everything I need. For example, here are some of the stores I shop at, and what I buy there:
- Local produce
- Organic produce I can’t find anywhere else
- Bulk items like nuts
- Organic chicken
- Specialty ingredients for recipes (like Kelp noodles and other weird things)
- Vegan foods
- Health specialty items like PB2
Kroger: (Normal grocery store for those not in the midwest- like Publix)
- Produce- organic and conventional
- Chicken/turkey/organic raw meats
- Eggs and egg whites
- Almond milk
- Bread- they have ezekiel!
- Peanut butter/almond butter
- Honey/ jam
- Frozen veggies
- Local produce- when they have it!!
- Conventional produce that’s cheap. For example, I bought blueberries today for $2.50 for a HUGE box
- Almond milk- Way cheaper here.
- Greek yogurt- I like Fage brand and it’s super cheap at Walmart
- Egg whites- my liquid All Whites that are $8 at Whole Foods are $4 at Walmart
- Frozen fish
- Frozen blueberries
- Salad mixes
- Oats- YES- I always buy my oats at costco
- Paper towels, toilet paper, sponges, laundry detergent, soap, shampoo… that kind of stuff.
Gigantic bags of gummy worms
- Seafood- BEST seafood ever. I’ve had some bad Whole Foods fish and Fresh Market never disappoints.
- Fresh ground peanut/almond butter- cheaper than whole foods
- Random odds and ends I need because it’s a mile away from my house 😉
- Chocolate covered animal crackers- omg I die.
Of course, I stray from these lists all the time, but this is a basic overview of what kinds of stuff I get at each place. Generally I shop at Kroger and supplement at Whole Foods or Fresh Market. Every few weeks, I will need paper products or cleaning products and so I’ll make the trek to Walmart or Costco. In that case, I take advantage of being there and stock up!
Today, I needed to go to Walmart and so I tried to do most of my shopping there. I got basically everything I needed, and stopped at Whole Foods just for a few locally grown veggies and some Zevia soda 🙂
And now my fridge is stocked!!
I’ve got 2 big almond milks from Walmart- way cheaper than Whole Foods:
2 HUGE Fage yogurts I can eat for night time snacks with PB2 🙂 Again, so cheap at Walmart.
Some of that stuff underneath is Kyle’s. I did get the feta on a whim! Sounded good 🙂
I think I’m set on egg whites:
Veggies for salads, wraps, and scrambles are fully stocked.
Fruits from Walmart- only because they are locally grown peaches and the ones at Whole Foods are insanely expensive and I didn’t want to do it… but I know I should probably only eat organic peaches… oh well.
That random sweet potato is from last week’s shopping- I think it’s from Kroger.
Am I the only one who has specific items they get at each store?
Do you have set stores you go to? Or can you get everything at one place?
Do you go to Aldi’s? If so, WHAT DO YOU GET THERE?? I’d love to shop there but I never find enough to make it worth while..
I only rarely go to Trader Joes.. so I get pretty random things there. And of course the farmer’s market- I will buy everything when I get the chance to go!