Before I get into the main purpose of this post, let’s recap yesterday. Sunday started off with me moping around the house feeling super lazy and tired. I finally got my butt to the kitchen and made some breakfast. Oatmeal with egg whites, a peach, and cinnamon on top.
Yummm. Then I blogged and literally lounged around watching the Real Housewives of NY (loving carol btw) until noon. Before heading out to do errands, I made some lunch because all that laying around watching TV made me hungry 😉
Chicken sausage on top of lettuce with tomatoes, yellow peppers, a slice of sweet potato and a tiny bit of avocado for some extra yumminess. Oh, and some broccoli because what would like be like without broccoli?
After lunch I was off to Nordstrom Rack to return a few workout tops I had purchased a few weeks ago, only to find out they fit really weirdly. I also made a pitstop at Ulta for some hair products and a new lipgloss 🙂 I almost went to the mall which was right across the street because I’m dying for a new necklace but I talked myself out of it because I have no money and what little money I do have, I’d rather spend on blueberries and peanut butter.
I’m looking for some new big statement necklaces, but all the inexpensive ones I’ve seen look super cheap, so I was going to bite the bullet and shell out some cash but now I just can’t decide! I love these:
Any suggestions on where to find cute necklaces for $50 or less?
After shopping around, Kyle and I basked in the sun and read for a while. Then it was time to grill out for dinner! He got some burgers and I had a few chicken breasts I wanted to grill up to eat this week. I salted and peppered the chicken breast and then topped them with some Mrs. Dash. I am loving the caribbean citrus flavor.
My chicken breast turned out so juicy! I sliced it onto a salad with cherry tomatoes and corn. Topped with 1 TBS barbecue sauce- perfect summer dinner!
Okay, now onto the actual purpose behind this post- How to Jumpstart a Healthy Plan
A sweet friend of mine (hi Kent!) asked me to write about some tips for getting started on a new healthy track. I could use a piece of my own advice here, so I think we will all benefit!
1. Get a Purpose– whenever I feel like I have a reason to be doing what I’m doing, it seems to be easier. So ask yourself why you want to make changes in your lifestyle. Is it to lose weight? Look great for an upcoming event? Feel better in general? Be able to run faster? Impress a cutie at your gym? Once you know what you’re working toward and why, you will have some motivation!
2. Define set goals– I’ve heard this over and over but I always forget to do it. Make tiny goals that are attainable instead of saying “I want a six pack tomorrow.” This way, you will feel more accomplished once you reach those small goals. For example, my goals this week are to strength train 4 days and make it to yoga at least once.
3. Go grocery shopping!! Eating healthy is one million times easier when you are excited about all the yummy food you just bought. Plus, if you spent all this money on it, you won’t want to go out to eat and let it go to waste! I find great healthy recipes all over the internet. Check out eatingwell.com for starters.
4. Get a workout plan– Don’t just go to the gym with no set workout planned ahead of time. You can find amazing strength training workouts at bodybuilding.com. Make up your own treadmill workout. Maybe do a pyramid up and down of increasing then decreasing speed, or increasing then decreasing incline.
5. Make tiny swaps– If you’re not used to eating super healthy, try swapping things in your diet to a healthier version. Instead of sugary flavored oatmeal, buy regular oatmeal and jazz it up with stevia and cinnamon, fruit, nut butters, skies the limit! Instead of processed bread try switching to wraps or sprouted grain bread (Ezekiel bread and tortillas are the bomb.com or use big romaine lettuce as a wrap for your sandwich. If you’re really craving ice-cream, try blending up frozen bananas. It seriously is better than ice-cream.
6. Congratulate yourself! Go a week making these healthy changes and at the end of the week, reward yourself with new workout clothes. I ALWAYS have more motivation to workout when I have a cute new outfit. If I’m in a huge workout rut, buying some new running shorts and tops gets me right back in it.
I think this could be an ongoing topic on the blog- how to make healthy choices, how to stay motivated, etc. I know that writing this stuff down helps me stay on track!
How do you kick start a healthy plan if you’ve been off track?
Any necklace suggestions?